Riaan,

> Running 2.4.5, I do not want to log the details of outbound mail to
> sql (syslog is enough).  Inbound, being processed for spam too, is
> great in sql, but outbound just litters my db.

Sorry to disappoint you but this is not currently possible,
nor planned. I see the following reasons:

- outbound+internal mail is often just a small fraction
  of all mail (5% + 3.5% at our site), so it is not worth
  the savings. If you can affort to process and log inbound mail,
  you can afford to process and log all of it.

- pen pals feature depends on information on outbound mail.
  In fact, apart from SQL quarantine, the pen pals feature is
  the reason for existance of SQL logging.

- SQL logging database needs periodic purging anyway. You can
  trim log entries of outgoing mail to much shorter keeping periods.
  This just means that an additional 8.5 percent of records needs
  to be purged (besides all inbound mail entries).

> In fact, I'd prefer
> not having any sql activity for outbound (black/white lists, etc...
> nothing is needed.)
>
> So, I've tried setting up a policy bank, but have discovered that
> 'lookup_sql_dsn' and 'storage_sql_dsn' are not 'dynamic_confvars'.
> It does make sense, but it doesn't help!

Right. The same child process handles mail regardless of its direction,
so it keeps one session to a sql server open at any time.

You could in principle save 8.5 percent (in our case) of SQL lookups
(and keep 'local_domains' in a static lookup table only).
Is it worth it?

> So, how to do it?  'sql_clause'
> IS a policy-able variable, but I'm not sure amavisd-new would be
> stable if that is set to undef in a policy declaration.

That could work, but I never tried it. Please see if it works,
and if it doesn't I'd consider it a bug and fix it.