At 09:34 AM 6/16/2007, Michael Scheidell wrote:

> > > So, we patch amavisd or file?
> >
> > If file(1) gives wrong result, it needs to be fixed or
> > replaced. I doubt there is anything in amavisd in this regard.
>
>Noel 'hacked' amavisd and got it to work (well, workaround).
>
>Not that I SUGGEST this, would this hurt anything?
>Just adding a [qr/^Microsoft Installer\b/i  => 'doc'], line under
>office?

I doubt that adding that line to amavisd will break anything; the
file type "Microsoft Installer" isn't used otherwise.  Note that
amavisd must recognize the file(1) type to call the proper decoder -
the file name extension is intentionally ignored.

That said, it's certainly more appropriate to fix file(1) rather than
adding a workaround to amavisd.

To patch file(1), comment out the "Microsoft Installer" line in the
magic file, then run "file -m magic -C" in the same directory where
the magic file lives.
("file -v" shows the path to the magic file)

Or just wait for a updated version of file(1).

--
Noel Jones