Philippe,

> i´m using clamav with amavisd-new on my mailserver. at the weekend clamav
> crashed and amavisd new didn´t work anymore and over 3000 mails have been
> queued. it uses clamav as primary internal virus scanner. i want to
> reconfigure amavisd-new that it uses clamav as secondary scanner and will
> continue working if clamav isn´t started. i just commented out the lines
> below in the backup-av list in amavisd.conf:

> ### http://www.clamav.net/   - backs up clamd or Mail::ClamAV
>  ['ClamAV-clamscan', 'clamscan',
>    "--stdout --disable-summary -r --tempdir=$TEMPBASE {}",
>    [0], qr/:.*\sFOUND$/, qr/^.*?: (?!Infected Archive)(.*) FOUND$/ ],

Yes, this should suffice, assuming clamscan program is in the $path.

> amavisd-new doesn´t find clamav as secondary scanner.

What is your setting for $path?  It is often something like:

  $path = '/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin';

but the default is empty, so you either need do specify an exact
program location in the second parameter of an AV entry,
or adjust $path so that the program can be found in one of the
listed directories. Also make sure the clamscan program is accessible
to a user running amavisd (e.g. vscan).

> i tried to use the entry in primary scanners section and copied it to the
> backup-av section:
>  ### http://www.clamav.net/
> ['ClamAV-clamd',
>   \&ask_daemon, ["CONTSCAN {}\n", "/var/spool/amavisd/clamd.sock"],
>   qr/\bOK$/, qr/\bFOUND$/,
>   qr/^.*?: (?!Infected Archive)(.*) FOUND$/ ],
>
> when i shut down clamav then amavisd-new doesn´t work anymore.

It doesn't help to have clamd entry in both sections, if the
clamd daemon is down.

> i have nod32 as primary av-scanner working and want clamav to be used
> as secondary scanner. if clamav isn´t started then amavisd-new should
> continue its work.

Yes, as long as at least one of: nod32 or clamd primaries or
clamscan secondary are up, mail should continue to flow.

> how can i configure amavisd-new to use clamav as backup scanner?

You seem to already has it configured. Make sure amavisd does
find these programs at startup. Check the log.