HI, Justin. Which setting do you have enabled on SA? (assuming you
check spam against SpamAssassin). Try disabling RBL checks, Pyzor,
Razor, DCC, etc. Maybe a stalled communication with one of those
services is sluggishing down the amavis instance...

Could you post over one of your servers the problematic message?

Peace,

Luis