Sahil,

> > > After disabling SPF verification in init.pre, I restarted amavisd-new.
> > > The logs show that SPF modules are still being loaded:
> > >
> > > Nov 30 22:52:57 bulwark amavis[73066]: Module Mail::SPF
> > > v2.004 Nov 30 22:52:57 bulwark amavis[73066]: Module Mail::SPF::Query
> > >  1.999001
> > >
> > > How can I disable amavis/SA SPF checks?

These checks are disabled, SA does not use plugins which are not loaded
by its own mechanisms (by .pre or sometimes .cf files).

> So it appears amavisd loads SA modules independently, not based
> on the contents of .pre files:
>       bulwark# grep Mail::SPF /usr/local/sbin/amavisd
>             Mail::SPF Mail::SPF::Query NetAddr::IP URI Razor2::Client::Version
>               Mail::SPF Mail::SPF::Server Mail::SPF::Request ...

Right. A few kB of virtual memory is wasted.

> Based on the FAQ and actual SA headers, I understand that local.cf is
> interpreted by SA running through amavisd (even though some scores/rules
> may be ignored).  But I could not find any information on the
> handling/loading of modules.  What is the right way to disable an SA module
> with an amavisd setup? Should I be editing the bin?

The plugin usage is disabled, despite being loaded.

Either deinstall these modules and they will not get loaded,
or edit the above list of modules to be pre-loaded, or just
not worry about a small wastage of memory which never gets used.

The problem is that there is no way for amavisd to know
ahead of time which modules SpamAssassin will need, and some
of these modules are not preloaded by SpamAssassin initialization,
so they get loaded later with every child process creation,
or when chrooted, such functionality just fails.

The built-in list of modules to be preloaded consists of modules
which SpamAssassin will likely need but fail to preload. Currently
it is just a best guess, in absence of a better way.