David,

> I am using Amavisd-new only for virus scanning and have the following
> timings in amavisd-agent:
> TimeElapsedReceiving                 10992 s      0.397 s/msg (InMsgs)
> TimeElapsedSending                      44 s      0.002 s/msg (InMsgs)
> TimeElapsedTotal                     17688 s      0.711 s/msg (InMsgs)
> TimeElapsedVirusCheck                 5917 s      0.282 s/msg (InMsgs)
>
> Could you explain what TimeElapsedReceiving is? I have
> $bypass_decode_parts=1.

TimeElapsedReceiving is the elapsed time (wall clock) between
the reception of a MAIL FROM smtp command from a MTA (this is where
a new smtp transaction starts) and the time when content checking
begins (when check_mail() is called), so this time interval consists
mostly of a data transfer of a message from MTA to amavisd
(RCPT TO and DATA smtp commands).

> PS: It would be cool to have in amavisd-agent statistics about running
>     times for the different AV engines, like there is in the timing
>     report with $log_level=2

The TimeElapsed* counters are collected at a top level of a program
flow and are of rather course granularity. The fine granularity timing
measurements are more finely intertwined in the code and end up
in log level 2 logging. In principle there could be more TimeElapsed*
counters, but then one could always say: why this one and not also
that one, so I have to draw a line somewhere.

For occasional assessment you could run a one-liner Perl command
across a log to collect times of interesting tasks, and perhaps
plot a scattergram (gnuplot) for each such task. The diagram
could be more revealing than a cumulative value.