On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:51:09 +0100, Mark Martinec wrote:
> TimeElapsedReceiving is the elapsed time (wall clock) between
> the reception of a MAIL FROM smtp command from a MTA (this is where
> a new smtp transaction starts) and the time when content checking
> begins (when check_mail() is called), so this time interval consists
> mostly of a data transfer of a message from MTA to amavisd
> (RCPT TO and DATA smtp commands).

Ah, OK. So basically this a value that describes more the behaviour of
the SMTP clients than the performance of the content scanner.

> The TimeElapsed* counters are collected at a top level of a program
> flow and are of rather course granularity. The fine granularity timing
> measurements are more finely intertwined in the code and end up
> in log level 2 logging. In principle there could be more TimeElapsed*
> counters, but then one could always say: why this one and not also
> that one, so I have to draw a line somewhere.

I understand. log_level=2 is not really an option for us, however,
because we don't want to log that much for every mail. I can live with
it though :-)

> For occasional assessment you could run a one-liner Perl command
> across a log to collect times of interesting tasks, and perhaps
> plot a scattergram (gnuplot) for each such task. The diagram
> could be more revealing than a cumulative value.

Yep, that's what I am going to do if we have performance issues and I
want to find out where the bottleneck is. The timing report is really
cool.

Thanks again for all the answers
David