On 2/16/08, Christopher J Shaker wrote:
> You may all know about this, but it was new to me.
>
> Found a persistent spammer was sending email to my domain without
> any score information from amavis-new.
>
> After trying several possibilities, I finally realized that he was sending
> the email with a hand crafted 'X-Virus-Scanned' header that was identical
> to what my Amavis-new would have added.
>
> That seems to bypass scanning with Amavis-new!
>
> I've temporarily added a filter to my postfix header_checks file to reject
> messages coming into my server that already have the X-Virus-Scanned
> header added to them. This is not a good solution, because it also blocks
> my outgoing email.
>
> Has anyone else run into this?
>
> Thank you,
> Chris Shaker

This is not a definitive answer, but in my experience amavisd-new
would not bypass itself because of a previous X-Virus-Scanned header.
BTW, you can tell amavisd-new to remove these headers by setting:

$remove_existing_x_scanned_headers = 1; # default is to leave these alone.

It's more likely you already have a header_check that checks for the
X-Virus-Scanned header and then uses a FILTER directive to bypass
amavisd-new. I would check for that. My guess you created this in
order to bypass scanning for outbound mail, but this would not be a
good approach. A better approach would be to use a policy bank.
However, I am guessing here.

http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/amavisd-new-docs.html#pbanks
http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/bypassing.html