Clifton:

>>  I am pretty sure amavisd-new does *not* work this way.  It has an
>> implicit list of checks to run on each incoming mail, starting with
>> virus scanning, and works its way through them.  If it's working this
>> way for you, it may be the result of something funky in your Postfix
>> configuration which is bypassing the routing through amavisd if it sees
>> that header.
>>
>>   How are you selecting the Postfix routing to content filtering?  In
>> main.cf, in master.cf, or otherwise?

In /etc/postfix/master.cf:
smtp       inet  n       -       y       -       2       smtpd -o
content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024
smtps      inet  n       -       y       -       2       smtpd -o
content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024

>>> I've temporarily added a filter to my postfix header_checks file to
>>> reject
>>> messages coming into my server that already have the X-Virus-Scanned
>>> header added to them. This is not a good solution, because it also
>>> blocks
>>> my outgoing email.
>>>

>>   A much better interim measure would be to strip the incoming headers,
>> by simply replacing that REJECT with IGNORE in the same header_checks
>> line.  It's not a bad idea anyway to strip spam scan headers which
>> could be mistaken for your own.
>>
>>   -- Clifton

I've checked, and there are no FILTER directives in my header_checks
file. I'm
still looking for anything I might have screwed up.

The emails that leak through are forged to look as though they came from me.
Normally, email that I send out *is* filtered by Amavis. I've had
several emails
get mistakenly spam filtered when I tried to send them.

Thank you also to Gary for:

  $remove_existing_x_scanned_headers = 1; # default is to leave these alone.

Chris Shaker