Mark Martinec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I see this error in the logs.
> >
> > Jul 27 17:13:56 aegis amavis[704]: (00704-06) (!)rw_loop: leaving rw loop,
> > no progressJul 27 17:13:56 aegis amavis[704]: (00704-06) (!)FWD via SMTP:
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ->
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 451 4.5.0 From MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025) during
> > fwd-connect (Negative greeting:  at (eval 97) line 555.):
> >  id=00704-06
> >
> > What does it mean?
>
> Do you see it often / regularly?  Could the event be associated with
> some other event on the host, or with your MTA (like its restart)?
> What is the operating system? Can you search for other log entries
> pertaining to "(00704-06)", I'm particularly interested in their
> timestamps around the event.

I do not see it often.  Reviewing two week's worth of logs it has only
occurred once on Jul 27.

> In the amavisd smtp client code (feeding mail back to MTA) there
> is a watchdog flag, armed for each iteration of an I/O event loop,
> and cleared when code inside the loop understands what happened
> (e.g. read completed, write completed, signal) and clears it.
> If by the end of each iteration the flag is still armed,
> you get a message like reported, and the loop bails out,
> as this is something which should not have happened.

smtpd had a bad command start-up during a restart just prior to the first
instance of the rw_loop log, so it is very likely due to that.  Thanks for
the explanation.

[...]

--
Sahil Tandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>