OK, I've made a little headway.
I changed mailaction.php line 19 to:
    $ar_call = "/usr/bin/amavisd-release ".$qfile[0]." ".$sid." >>
/var/log/amavis-releaselog  2>&1";
I also found some error messages from apache. I have the default server
name the same as the virtual host where these scripts live, and apache
logs some errors to the virtual host logs and some to the mail web logs.

I now see in my amavis-releaselog:
    Can't connect to UNIX socket /var/spool/amavisd/amavisd.sock:
Permission denied at /usr/bin/amavisd-release line 206.

line 206 is
    $sock->connect( pack_sockaddr_un($socketname) )

I have already verified that the string mailaction.php passes to
amavisd-release is OK, and runs correctly in a shell, and also that when
it is run from a shell it logs everything to the logfile.

-m

--
Michael Slavin /o\~/o\~/o\ 226 Santa Fe Dr.  Baldwin City, KS  66006
theWebster  ***  electronic internet publishing and graphic services

tel 785 594-6621                           verizon cell 785 766-8756

Get Thunderbird <http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/>, Firefox
<http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/>, and MailDad <http://maildad.com/>,
and you're in good hands....