Eric Magutu wrote:
> Hi,
> I just updated to amavisd-new-2.6.3-1 running on RHEL3. When I try to
> start amavisd I get the following error
> /sbin/service amavisd start
> Starting Mail Virus Scanner (amavisd): ERROR: MISSING REQUIRED BASIC MODULES:
>   IO::Stringy
>   Unix::Syslog
>   Compress::Zlib
>   MIME::Words
>   MIME::Head
>   MIME::Body
>   MIME::Entity
>   MIME::Parser
>   MIME::Decoder
>   MIME::Decoder::Base64
>   MIME::Decoder::Binary
>   MIME::Decoder::QuotedPrint
>   MIME::Decoder::NBit
>   MIME::Decoder::UU
>   MIME::Decoder::Gzip64
>   Net::Server
>   Net::Server::PreFork
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/amavisd line 237.
>
> When I run perl -MCPAN  -e shell and try to install the module it
> tells me the latest version is already installed.
> cpan[1]> install IO::Stringy
> CPAN: Storable loaded ok (v2.13)
> Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
>   Database was generated on Wed, 20 May 2009 16:27:15 GMT
> IO::Stringy is up to date (2.110).
>

> Can someone tell me how to solve the problem?

Well, I would first confirm that the Stringy.pm does exist in
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Stringy.pm (or whatever your
perl lib path should be).

 ** r...@king1 ** ~ ** Thu May 21 13:56:07
# locate Stringy.pm
/k12/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Stringy.pm

It's possible that you have version weirdness. I've always found it
somewhat annoying; but when you upgrade perl from 5.a.b --> 5.c.d, you
have to completely repopulate your site_perl tree because the old path
is available by default (you can hack that...).

I might also create a little script:

 ** r...@king1 ** ~ ** Thu May 21 12:52:49
# perl -e 'use IO::Stringy;'

And confirm that it runs without errors.

In which case, you can conclude that IO::Stringy is, in fact, properly
installed.

If it's not installed, use CPAN's force option and reinstall and see if
that helps.

If it IS installed, then you have to wonder where amavisd is looking for
the library.  You can print out @INC and make sure the listed paths
include the one where Stringy.pm lives.

 ** r...@king1 ** ~ ** Thu May 21 14:04:10
# perl -e 'print join("\n", @INC)'
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/BSDPAN
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.2
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl