Michael,

> Being unable to automatically recover the original mail makes the
> feature of defanging prevent keeping spam in a file/mbox/IMAP and later
> resubmit to SpamAssassin for learning. Is nobody concerned of that? Or
> is nobody using the defang feature at all? How do you use defang plus
> keep a collection of spam for re-learning?

I doubt many sites use defanging for spam. It can be useful for
virus and banned files delivery, but for spam it usually suffices
to add a header field tag or append an address extension or edit a
Subject field.

Btw, classifiers like CRM114 and DSPAM keep a copy of each mail
in their own caches to allow for later learning on feedback.
Similarly amavisd can use quarantining for this purpose, it keeps
messages mostly intact (with some header fields prepended).

> > But: Is there an option in amavisd to say: "if the message is spam,
> > defang and send to user PLUS feed original format to an e-mail account"?

Yes, that's what quarantining (to a mail address) can do, as Noel explained.