I've seen discussion of this before with respect to mysql's wait_timeout
variable, but my question is a little different.

If I restart amavisd-new and mysql, mail flows fine.  This is a test machine
so if I try to send another test message the next day (i.e. this morning), I
start seeing this again:

 Jul 31 07:13:43 polymath amavis[30861]: (30861-03) NOTICE: reconnecting in
 response to: err=2006, HY000, DBD::mysql::st execute failed: MySQL server has
 gone away at (eval 102) line 166, <GEN21> line 307.

I understand why this might happen after a very long time as a new connection
to the mysql server needs to be re-established, but the problem is that the
above line re-appears for *every* new test message thereafter, which is what
puzzles me.  i.e.:

 Jul 31 07:14:30 polymath amavis[30862]: (30862-02) NOTICE: reconnecting in
 response to: err=2006, HY000, DBD::mysql::st execute failed: MySQL server has
 gone away at (eval 102) line 166, <GEN21> line 726.

Does this occur because different amavisd processes are handling the
consecutively new messages and each establish their own connection to the
mysql server?  I haven't debugged that aspect too closely but just wondering
if anyone else has experienced this.  If not then I will have to debug on the
mysql server.  Thanks.

--
Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>