>  You're rather vague both about the "no activity" and "long to
> respond".
>
>  If you mean there's really no activity on the system at all, and
> therefore the hard drive is not getting hit, could the OS be spinning
> down the hard drive after a while?
>
>  If that's not what you mean, you probably need to be more specific
> about how you're determining amavisd is slow to respond and what
> exactly is going on with the system when you observe this, such as what
> processes are running, overall system load, RAM available/in use, etc.
> Right now there's not enough information for people to do more than
> make wild guesses (like mine above.)

The system is a virtualized Debian Lenny with the maximum amount of
RAM recommended by VMware: 900 MB.

When send a first mail through the system (after a long period of no
mail activity) it takes 20 to 25 seconds to pass. The next mails take
only 1 or 2 seconds to pass. Now I have marked out all scanners, so:

in -> postfix -> amavis -> postfix -> out
first mail: 20-25 sec
next mails 1-2 sec

When amavis is pulled out it also takes 1 or 2 seconds for the 1st mail.
That's why I "think" it's amavis related.

Thx,
P.