Hello all,

As this is my first post to this list, please bear with me if my
description or supplied info is not all that is required.

I have 2 mail gateways running on Debian Lenny. I have installed and
configured the following according to this guide :
http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/spamfilter20090215.html#notes

Debian - 5.0.4 (kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64)
Postfix - 2.5.5-1.1
amavis - 2.6.4
clamav - 0.95.3+dfsg-1
spamassassin - 3.2.5-2+Lenny2
postgrey - 1.31-3.2

My problem is that about once a week the servers (at different times and
not consistently) will start queuing mail
and will not route it out. They still accept inbound smtp connections to
port 25 but will not pass them on to amavis ?!?

In the log files I find entries such as the one below :

May 5 06:46:27 mailgateway00 postfix/smtp[1525]: DC2C114C68B:
to=<u...@domain.com>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=300,
delays=0.13/0.01/300/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (conversation with
127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] timed out while receiving the initial server
greeting)

executing "mailq" on the server reveals a similar message in the mail
queue

(delivery temporarily suspended: conversation with 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]
timed out while receiving the initial server greeting)
                    u...@domain.com

The only way I have been able to fix the problem so far is to restart the
whole server. Mail will then route until the next time this happens.

Searching online I have found several references to the possibility that
running more postfix processes than amavis processes will cause this
problem but I have configured both to use the same number of processes as
per the config lines below :

/etc/postfix/master.cf
  smtp-amavis unix  -   -   n   -   5   smtp

/etc/amavis/amavis.conf
  $max_servers = 5;

As mentioned, being my first post, if there is any other info I can
provide that would be useful please let me know and I will post up.

Any help you can provide to assist me resolve this problem is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards John