Found it, and I think it has to do with INNODB, auto_increment and
partition tables (if you use real partition tables on maddr)
if you do, I suspect you will see some of those log entries below.
(unless you are using mysql 5.1.21 or below).
they MIGHT fix it in 5.1.47.

Failure is thus:

Two threads insert an maddr,
us...@example.com gets maddr id 10
us...@example.com gets maddr id 10

thread 2 gets failures here:
    eval { $conn_h->execute($ins_adr,$partition_tag,
                               [$naddr,$datatype], $invdomain); 1 }
         or do { $eval_stat = $@ ne '' ? $@ : "errno=$!" };
(and sets eval_stat)
and then here: (since us...@example.com was never inserted)

  $conn_h->execute($sel_adr,$partition_tag, [$naddr,$datatype]);

so, it fails through to here:
       die "find_or_save_addr: failed to insert addr $naddr: $eval_stat";

a postfix requeue 2 later will insert user2.
maybe one more retry if eval_stat =~ /Duplicate entry.*for key 'PRIMARY'/