Vernon,

> I have a few emails with attachments that have been quarantined as spam.
> I would normally use altermime to strip the attachment and then sa-learn
> --ham.  Is this still the recommended way of unlearning messsages with
> attachments?

I see no good reason for stripping attachments before learning.
Just feed the quarantine file to sa-learn or to spamassassin --report
e.g.:

zcat /var/virusmails/W32/spam/P/PlFWpzYVck0E.gz | \
  su vscan -c 'sa-learn --spam'

zcat /var/virusmails/W32/spam/P/PlFWpzYVck0E.gz | \
  su vscan -c 'spamassassin --report'

(use --ham and --revoke instead, to counteract false positives).