Jason,

> "fetch_modules: error loading required module Compress/Zlib.pm:
>  IO::Compress::Gzip version 2.03 required--this is only version
> 2.015 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/mach/Compress/Zlib.pm line 12.

I see - the 2.030 is the most current version of Compress::Zlib,
which you have somehow installed (perhaps from CPAN) and is on top
of your perl includes path. Then there is a version of this same
module that comes with perl (seems to be 2.020 with perl 5.10.1),
and finally there is a version of this module from ports: the
archivers/p5-Compress-Zlib is the oldest of them all, at 2.015.

The real trouble comes from the fact that the ports version of
archivers/p5-Compress-Zlib is older than the version that comes
with perl. Most of the time in the past has been the other way
around.

Now then. Amavisd-new port does not have a dependency on
archivers/p5-Compress-Zlib by itself, but does depend on
archivers/p5-Archive-Zip, which in turn brings-in the old
archivers/p5-Compress-Zlib, which causes the problem.

I think the archivers/p5-Archive-Zip -> archivers/p5-Compress-Zlib
dependency should be dropped with newer versions of perl.
But most importantly, the archivers/p5-Compress-Zlib port
should be updated to at least the version that comes with
a perl 5.12 port, or newer.

Michael?

> > I get a the above plus "pkg_info: the package info for package
> > 'perl-5.10.1' is corrupt"
>
> Ok I think this may be the problem  but I have been totally unable to
> fix the corruption

Do 'pkgdb -Ff' first, then see what you have installed:
  pkg_info | egrep '(p5-|bsdpan).*(Compress|Archive|Zip)'
then try deinstalling (pkg_deinstall -f) whatever 2.015
you see in that list (likely: p5-Compress-Zlib-2.015,
p5-IO-Compress-Base-2.015 and p5-IO-Compress-Zlib-2.015_1).
With some luck this hould leave you with more recent
version of Compress::Zlib that came with your perl.

If that does not settle the issue, I'd suggest you just
pkg_delete -f all your p5- and bsdpan- ports and perl
itself too, ditch (rename off) /usr/local/lib/perl5,
then just install the recent lang/perl5.12, followed
by reinstall of amavisd-new and remaining missing modules
if any. You should reinstall razor too if changing perl.
See /usr/ports/UPDATING and search for 'perl'.

See also my posting that you missed:
  http://marc.info/?l=amavis-user&m=128146284707744