On 4/24/23 18:45, Marek Olšák wrote:
> Soft resets are fatal just as hard resets, but no reset is "always fatal".
> There are cases when apps keep working depending on which features are being
> used. It's still unsafe.

Agreed, in theory.

In practice, from a user PoV, right now there's pretty much 0 chance of the
user session surviving if the GPU context in certain critical processes (e.g.
the Wayland compositor or Xwayland) hits a fatal reset. There's a > 0 chance of
it surviving after a soft reset. There's ongoing work towards making user-space
components more robust against fatal resets, but it's taking time. Meanwhile, I
suspect most users would take the > 0 chance.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  https://redhat.com
Libre software enthusiast          |         Mesa and Xwayland developer