On 4/25/23 14:08, Christian König wrote:
> Well signaling that something happened is not the question. We do this for
> both soft as well as hard resets.
>
> The question is if errors result in blocking further submissions with the
> same context or not.
>
> In case of a hard reset and potential loss of state we have to kill the
> context, otherwise a follow up submission would just lockup the hardware once
> more.
>
> In case of a soft reset I think we can keep the context alive, this way even
> applications without robustness handling can keep work.
>
> You potentially still get some corruption, but at least not your compositor
> killed.

Right, and if there is corruption, the user can restart the session.

Maybe a possible compromise could be making soft resets fatal if user space
enabled robustness for the context, and non-fatal if not.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  https://redhat.com
Libre software enthusiast          |         Mesa and Xwayland developer