On 24Jan19 20:25, Erich Wälde wrote:

> atmega644p has 2 serial interfaces. It is the same package as
> the 328p. I have toyed around with two serial interfaces, but
> with not much success. That was a problem of how to utilize this
> second uart, more than anything else. I'm sure, it can work.

In an attempt to cross this off my would-like-todo list, I now have
AmForth 6.8[1] on an Arduino Mega 2560 with the interpreter hosted on
usart0 and second working usart, usart1 configured for 9600
8N1. Incoming and outgoing bytes are buffered, with those buffers
being serviced by the usart1 RX and UDRE interrupts.

I've been using multitask.frt to create background tasks to process the
buffered RX stream and then act on it in some way. For devices that
send small amounts of serial data, slowly, every so often, it might be
a usable approach.

Best wishes,
Tristan

[1] I think the prompt still says 6.7 (via env-forthversion.asm).