Hi Michael,

I do not see the word 'marker' defined.  Should it have been part of
the basic system, or do I need to pull it from somewhere?

It is not part of the basic system, it is defined in this file.

avr8/lib/forth2012/core-ext/marker.frt

Using marker is efficient/good practice/etc. but it is not a necessary requirement to do below.

Then I'd like to see about doing something real simple, like turning
an LED on/off.  It's sort of a hardware person's approach to 'Hello
World!'  :)

http://amforth.sourceforge.net/TG/recipes/Arduino-HelloWorld.html

IIRC the MEGA and UNO have the built-in led on the same pin (port bit).

The definitions for the chip can be found in this file

avr8/devices/atmega2560/atmega2560.frt

These, or extracts from, will need to be loaded into the basic system. So longer term, being able to load forth definition non-interactively from a file is very useful. There are programs in the tools directory - amforth-shell.py being the one I use.

Best wishes,
Tristan