I used a previous version of their Pro line, Backup & Recovery. It also has a trial version. It was easier to use than I4W above. But I have used I4W for many, many years, so I just stick with it.

Also, Terabyteunlimited doesn't charge for updates.  Acronis does.

-- Keith

On 9/8/2010 07:31, Anthony Faragasso wrote:

Thank you everyone...
Keith,
I am using windows Vista home premium...I can not run in Repair mode...I have exhausted all methods I can think of to repair the OS.. There are several / many "Services" that can not be started no matter what I have tried...I have not been able to update the OS through the
windows automatic update service for sometime ....
I do NOT have all installed program disks...
Are there any free disk Imaging softwares that allow what you suggest ?
Anthony

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Keith McCombs <mailto:kmcco...@engineer.com>
    *To:* amibroker@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amibroker@yahoogroups.com>
    *Sent:* Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:52 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [amibroker] OT: installing OS again

    Before you attempt to do anything else, make a complete image of
    your hard drive. Make sure that your disk imaging software will
    allow you to recover individual folders and files as well as the
    entire image.

    Then see if you can run your OS installation software in 'Repair'
    mode.  If you can, you may end up fixing what ever your problem
    is, without needing to reinstall any software.

If that doesn't work, maybe you might have to reinstall the OS. Are you absolutely sure that the only solution to your problem is
    a complete re-install?  Positive?  Absolutely Positive? If so:
    Just because you have copies of all your installed programs does
    NOT mean that you can merely copy them onto the newly installed OS.

    You will have to re-install almost all of your programs.  For this
    you need the Original installation programs, including protection
    keys, either on disks or saved elsewhere.

    Good luck,
    -- Keith

BTW, I have been using PC's since the very first IBM ones. Probably owned a couple of dozen since then. The only time I have
    had to reinstall an OS was when I lost my first HD more than 25
    years ago.  Since then, I make drive images and/or use other work
    arounds.