Actually, an important point could be overlooked in the heat and flames.
Post-war boatanchors are not rare. None. Never were and never will be. The
Apache is common as water. Which is why you can buy one for about $100
restorable and $250 in mint working condition.

There are a few 1930's boatanchors that are actually rare. But
paradoxically, these are not the most sought-after or high-priced items.

The whole boatanchor disposal situation is going to get really interesting
over the next 10 years. By 2010, the peak of the babyboom is going to be
retiring, moving and disposing. I read somewhere that the aggregate total of
the inheritance that will be left behind by the babyboomers constitutes the
largest transfer of wealth in human history.

Now, combine that thought with 1) the average age of all hams by 2010 will
be 60+ and they will not be looking to acquire new collections, 2) the
number of hams will have fallen by 25%, 3) digital radio technology will be
in full swing and making the terms AM and FM into fast-fading history, and
4) antique radio associations such as AWA and public museums are already
storing far more equipment than they can actually display.

So you make the call: What is the future of all of this non-rare equipment
that some of us have accumulated? How many "ham radio museums" will a
generally disinterested public actually support?

73, Don Merz, N3RHT