It is not really unusual for these transformers to go bad. You must consider the age and how they were manufactured. You can blame Johnson for using cheaper transformers, they could have used potted designs. But who would have thought that you would be using this old stuff? Old transformers do bad things- they suck up moisture in the air and the windings viberate and break down the insulation. I don't think you will find anything seriously wrong with your amp. Heres an experiment: got an old unsealed transformer in the basement that has not been run in a few years? Put it in the oven@ 200 degrees. Just leave it in for a few minutes. Open the oven door and you are likely to see it steaming!
Thats water.....Russ.

From: Dave Aabye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: amradio@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [AMRadio] Re: 500 Transformer
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:20:22 -0500

Hi Gary,

Yep, it's a bummer!

WZ1M wants $260 to rewind the existing transformer. Peter Dahl sells a replacement for $285. I think that Dahl offers a better deal because it is a hypersil unit with a 500 ma CCS rating. I believe the original is rated 400 ma ICAS. Only
drawback is the need for 4 new mounting holes.

I replaced the tube recitifiers with solid state units shortly after purchasing the 500 (about two years ago). I also inserted thyristers in the primary leads to cut down on inrush current. I wonder if you have any further protective measures to
suggest.

73 de Dave, W4QCU
Oak Ridge, TN