From: "Kim Elmore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I want to understand why we're seeing the negative deflections under modulation. I'd expect positive deflections, not negative ones. What is this telling me about the transmitter's operation?

That is not at all unusual, even though theoretically the plate meter should stand completely still during modulation. The most likely cause, if the rig uses a common power supply for modulator and final, is that modulator plate current is dragging down the plate voltage. Sometimes, even poor regulation at the 117 v. mains can cause the problem. The other likely cause is nonlinearity in the modulated stage. The final tube may be a little low on emission. Also, with screen grid tubes, the screen has to be modulated along with the plate. If this modulation is not 100% optimum, some nonlinearity will result, and the most common method of screen modulation, thru a dropping resistor off the modulated plate voltage, is rarely optimum. Sometimes the screen bypass caps will reduce the screen modulation at higher frequencies so that it doesn't follow exactly the modulation of the plate.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the downward swing in plate current exceeds 5% or so of the total plate voltage.

If you have a monitor scope, look at the envelope pattern to see if everything looks ok. Better still, try a RF trapezoid pattern (this requires going into the transmitter and sampling audio from the modulator), so you might not want to bother with it. The trapezoid will give the ultimate indication if there is any nonlinearity, but the envelope pattern is sufficient to tell if anything is wrong, such as flat-topping or severe waveform distortion.

73, Don K4KYV