2 things to try- the modulator tubes may be out of phase or just a soft HV supply. Try reversing the cap leads on the plates of the mod. tubes.... If you have a way of checking HV measure it under load, you may need some bigger caps in HV section. Russ.

From: Dino Darling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: amradio@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] WRL Globe Champion 350
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:51:15 -0800

Yep, it sounds like the Globe is broken! You need to sell it to me ASAP! :-)

At 11:59 AM 02/25/2003 -0600, you wrote:
Hello to you all,

I'm a new list member and am delighted to find such a resource.

I've been a ham for a bit over 30 years, but almost never operated AM until recently. However, my Dad, W5JHJ, has been a ham since, well, I'm not sure. Probably 62 or 63 years (he'll be 81 this September). He has had some health problems recently and, at 80 years old, is no Spring Chicken anymore. Anyway, he has some pretty neat old gear that he's maintained, which I used when I started out 30 years ago: a WRL Globe Champion 350 transmitter, a Hammarlund HQ-170 receiver, and a Hammarlund HQ-110 general coverage receiver. All of these he's had since new (the transmitter kit was purchased in March, 1959). He also has a mint condition FT-102 in superb condition.

He's always maintained all of the gear in good working order and when I was very young (before kindergarten) was quite active. But, with family, the decline of AM in favor of SSB, and increasing job responsibilities, his activity waned. Recently, he's become interested in operating a bit. So, last Saturday, we fired everything up. Aside from dirty switch contacts, we got it all working fine. We even made a QSO with WA5UEK, in Plano, TX, early Saturday evening.

However, as we tuned up the Globe, we noticed that the plate current swings down under modulation. Adjusting modulation gain doesn't seem to remove this tendency, though it is lessened until, of course, there is no modulation. I also notice very slight negative deflection of output power, too. Dad doesn't recall whether this was characteristic of the rig, and no mention is made in the manual. Our signal report was fine, though we were only a couple of S-units above the noise, so poor audio might not be noticed.

I want to understand why we're seeing the negative deflections under modulation. I'd expect positive deflections, not negative ones. What is this telling me about the transmitter's operation?

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP
                          Kim Elmore, Ph.D.
                       University of Oklahoma
        Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
"All of weather is divided into three parts: Yes, No, and Maybe. The
greatest of these is Maybe" The original Latin appears to be garbled.