Far as I know, more is always better, as long as the inrush current of a
discharged capacitor does not cause problems with the rectifiers or choke.

I use step start, a time delay relay of about 1 second that puts a resistor
in the
primary, say about 10 ohms, whatever gives about 1/2 voltage at the end of a
short
wait (one second), then the relay shorts the resistor out.

I think my 813 rig runs about 70 uf at 2000 volts, with 4 12kv 1 amp
brick diodes in center tap to ground setup.
The bricks can handle 15 amps for a very short time.
I have never blown one out...

In the homebrew stuff, I always use separate power supplies for the
modulator
and rf deck, with a swinging choke and the extra capacitance in the mod
power supply.

I don't think a lot of extra capacitance does much in the rf power supply.

If you actually intend to use the globe chump, I would run it easy, its not
a robust transmitter. I might change the cap to something like a 20uf,
I don't think you will get loads of low end bass out of the transmitter
anyway, where the energy storage pays off the most.
You likely don't want to push the mod iron much, trying to force a lot
of low frequency through it might blow it out.
I would not try to pass anything lower than about 150 to 200 hz
through it....

When I was young and stupid (now I am old and stupid), I was running tests
on my 30K1, putting a signal generator into it, setting the mod
at 100% at 1khz, then reducing the audio frequency and noting the -3db
points.
When I got down to about 40hz, the mod transformer blew out.

DUH!

There is a lot of power in low frequencies, so be careful.
I don't sweep rigs at full power anymore, or generally sweep them
at all.

Brett
N2DTS