I don't recall what the equation was for a spark gap and voltage breakdown. I'd feel a bit leary of using a 16pin header with 500 volts applied though. Considering theat the pin spacing is .1" there's not a lot of protection for flashover.

Using solid state regulators for high voltage is fine, but I'd be more inclined to build the circuit on a terminal board, or etch a PC board for the regulator, using wide spaced traces.

Joe

Jim candela wrote:

PS Some of this circuitry can be applied to AM radios...just to stay on
topic. Go ahead and call me crazy for running a dc fan at high common mode
voltage, and putting 450 volts to a header plugged into a ic socket. It
would just confirm what I already know.