Joe,

   You make a good point. I guess I am a glutten for punishment. Anyway a rule
of thumb for air dialectric with rounded electrodes is 10KV / inch. Having two
nail points looking at eah other will be less. So in my case, that translates
to 1kv per 1/10 inch. Put some wires on the ic pins, and the gap is reduced to
about .05", or 500 volts. I was planning to use some sort of conformal coat
over the back side of the board, and around the ic header sockets. I am not
sure what to use, but was pondering Krylon clear coat spray. Anybody have
experience with conformal coating pcb's, and if so what compound did they use?
  For now, the board is clean and dry, and no arcing has ocurred. I used 24 awg
buss wire with teflon tubing as a sleeve. I was looking last night at my ic
header pinout, and I could have done a better job to minimize pin to pin
voltage stress. Oh well...next time!

Thanks for the comments!
Jim

Joseph Bento <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't recall what the equation was for a spark gap and voltage
breakdown. I'd feel a bit leary of using a 16pin header with 500 volts
applied though. Considering theat the pin spacing is .1" there's not a
lot of protection for flashover.

Using solid state regulators for high voltage is fine, but I'd be more
inclined to build the circuit on a terminal board, or etch a PC board
for the regulator, using wide spaced traces.

Joe