-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Donald Chester
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 2:17 PM
To: amradio@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Pix of BPL hardware on utility poles in Cincinnati

>Actually this provides additional advantages to the Utility Companies
>even if you don't subscribe to the internet service. A modem could be
>hung on your electric, gas, or water meters, plugged into an AC outlet,
>and now all meter readings could be done back at their facilities via
>the BPL internet connection, eliminating the services of electric, gas,
>or water meter readers.

Wonder how long before some would develop and put on the market bootleg
"brown boxes" -remember the "blue boxes" in the 80's that allowed one to
illegally bypass the phone co.'s billing and make free phone calls? These
things would take over and alter the data stream to the utility company and
illegally reduce your bill.  Or if you happened to transmit over the air at
the critical moment and your signal caused data loss and scrambled the data
so that you or a near by resident erroneously got a ridiculously high
utility bill for services you did not use.

Incidentally, Apple Computers got its start as a garage enterprise that
produced blue boxes, and once they gained some capital, decided to go legit
and put together the first personal computer, that started a technological
revolution, even though the machine was extremely crude by today's
standards.