I think you guys are getting carried away with technicalities. We are not
space laboratories, we are amateurs. Look at your license. Nearly all
VTVM's use a 12AU7 and a 6AL5. They are available in abundance. I have
about 50 of each. Any good used tube will be aged. Even if recalibration
is required we are talking about removing 2 screws and adjusting 3 pots.
Not an all day job. Re calibration, Heathkit used a fresh zink-carbon
battery for a terminal voltage of 1.55 volts. I use a fresh alkaline
battery with a terminal voltage of 1.62 volts. It works for me. For ACV
if you don't have another meter or a friend that does, wait for early
morning when the electrical grid is lightly loaded and calibrate your ACV
for 122 VAC. You will be in the 5% accuracy of the VTVM.

73, Ed Richards K6UUZ