Hello,
The Johnson Viking II also uses negative return shunts
for both the final and the modulator current takeoff point.

A word of warning tho. If the ground or B minus side of the shunt lifts in this
type of connection the meter will most likely be pulled up to the B+ voltage
relative to chassis.
My VK II with it's small loops of Ni Chrome for shunts
did exactly that when whatever treatment that was given the unsolderable
NiChrome let loose.

I have often seen panel meters offered on E-Bay and at HamFests that had at
least one adjustable setpoint pointer that activated a contact closure when
reached.The difficulty would be in finding the right meter resistance for the
application.

Bill Courtright KB3DKS/1