On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:44:01 -0800 (PST), Jim Candela
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>     Is this noise broadband, or is it concentrated in
> frequency, and then showing another concentration at
> say 200 Khz away? My VCR when off was this last way,
> and the pulse rate would vary just like you said. One
> of those clusters was centered at 3885 (abt 15 kc
> wide), and this would vary maybe +/- 20 Khz depending
> on temperature.
>     I tracked it down pretty quickly with a cheap
> Chinese SW portable I picked up in Shanghai a few
> years back.
>     It's amazing how much stuff we have sucking power
> in our houses 24/7 just so that we can turn something
> on with a remote. Count all the wall-worts, and other
> gizmo's, and I bet it adds up to over 100 watts all
> the time. Some of this junk is now using switching
> power supplies with little or NO filtering. Sigh.
<snip>

I've had similar problems with 'home entertainment' devices and
computers. Easy fix: plug all of the equipment into power strips, turn
the strip off when not in use. I seldom use my VCR, and I certainly
don't look at the clock. If the flashing annoys you, just place a
piece of black tape over the display.

Same goes for the computer with its switching supply (you guys who
manage to use them in close proximity to your gear must know a
secret): shut it down, throw the power strip switch to off. I have
everything from the monitor to the wall wort for the speakers plugged
into the same strip.

When you want to watch TV or use the PC, turn on the power strip. When
you want to play radio, shut off the noise generators*.  Then you're
only left with the neighborhood garbage to contend with.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ

* Your mileage may vary, do not attempt this at home if you have
potentially hostile family members, etc.