I was going up and down streets power pole to power pole on my bicycle with
a AM Walkman radio tuned to 540 and 1700 Khz.

I use a Radio Shack aircraft receiver. About the size of a HT, and makes a nice line noise sniffer. The bicycly is a good idea also, since every vehicle we have here, new and old, swamps out the entire spectrum with ignition noise. I have gone noise sniffing in the car, picking up momentum and then cutting off the engine and pushing in the clutch and coasted until the car nearly stopped, then turned back on the ignition and popped t he clutch to restart the engine to regain momentum and start the process all over again. Other drivers on the road seemed to assume I was having car trouble and would ask if I needed help.

k4kyv