>From the northeast I can offer the following for 75:

- swisher/sweeping sound, travels up and down the band (this might be
what you're hearing, Mark)

- beep/buzz/duck sound, also travels the band and easily recognized by
its steady short, duck-like quack/buzz sound *bzzt* *bzzt* *bzzt*
*bzzt*

- the sound from hell, which varies between a screeching buzz to more
of a roaring sound, usually starting high-pitched and slowly going to
the lower frequency roar.

These sounds are heard by AMers all over the northeast, as well as
elsewhere. I've probably missed a few. Some have tracked one of the
sounds to (possibly) the Bath Ironworks or that vicinity, suggestions
include some kind of industrial heating device. Wonder if any of it
comes from Brunswick? Other odds sounds like the marching duck sound
would be much harder to locate. Most seem to wander around the band
after hammering one frequency for a while.

Some of the more steady and strong signals located at fixed points on
the band are indeed local to me. For example, my Dish satellite
receiver wipes out most of 40 and up but doesn't seem to bother 75.
Even the VCR and other electronics make racket while shut off. My
solution was to add a terminal strip with a switch to plug it all
into, that can easily be shut off for listening. Satellite receiver
needs to reboot everytime, which is annoying, but it sure quiets
things down.