[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

how do we get the old "KW Input" for AM back now?
probably impossible..

You might start with your congresspersin.

The FCC guy gave up on trying to get AM off the bands, quoting the same thing, and we're still here.

Calling up your congress-critter might not be a bad idea, but what are we effectivly going to use to argue that we -need- to have 1kWDC input to the final, these days?

If there's an emergency, you -certainly- won't be totin' yer RCA BTA1R out to a tornado/hurricane/(un)natural disaster site to setup emergency communications... and the remote site surely doesn't lend itself well to the kind of power requirements needed by an AM transmitter of any heft.

The way *I* see it, we only lost 500w. Run your AM rig at 500w DC input to the final, and let the audio fall where it may. Perhaps some of the guys on the air will get more interested in making their final more efficient - find better ways to modulate their rigs - get some of the trashier sounding rigs off the air, by -helping- that ham with working on -his- rig. Get the ol' commraderie going, again. I can build stuff... I just need to have someone around to talk to, joke with, laugh at.. er, with (hehe) .. I'm just not a good self-motivator. Besides, working a project together is what fosters friendships and forges bonds that keep you tied in a hobby together, for a lifetime.

Speaking of which, Patrick... you ever get your General Class license? I can't -wait- to hear some of that Big Iron you've got up there, on the air.

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR