Depends on who's making the statement. If you read this on the QRZ or
similar type forum, I would ignore it. And, if I remember correctly, the
person you quoted is generally clueless and normally an antagonist. All
the major manufacturers now include the AM mode in their rigs. Even the
ARRL WAS award, now has provision in the phone award for AM. The mode is
not "current state of the art" but neither is SSB. As Glen would say
something like, "AM is double sideband with carrier". Like SSB, AM is a
mode that will be with us for as long as hams want to use it. Programming
AM and SSB in today's rigs is not a difficult task.

Pete, wa2cwa