Yes Charlie,
Yep.  Shields up!

I was one of those geeky guys who rode a bicycle and had to put up with
all the garbage from the jocks in cars with all the remarks.

In time, I learned to overcome the problems caused by this bunch.
(Gaining a 5th degree black belt in Judo and being able to bench press
325 pounds at age 17 kinda helped the situation too!)

I changed tactics by going on the defensive.  It worked.

...In the case of folks wanting to elinate our niche of the amateur
radio hobby, a strong defense here might help too.

Lobbying the local League staff and SC's, and educating other hams as
to the existance of AM'ers might be helpful.

73,
Mark Cobbeldick, KB4CVN
Monroe, VA