Hi Jim,

No magic in the 600L. If you run it at 100 watts carrier out then it has to be capable of 400 watts PEP output in order to be linear. That would be around 660 watts input. Assuming 60% efficiency in AB2 grid driven.

At the 100 watt carrier level the efficiency would be around 30% so input power would be about 333 watts. Plate dissipation would be 233 watts! 813s will tolerate that for awhile. But I don't think the 600L will put out 400 watts PEP? At least not while being linear. You may be able to see that much out of it at tune up if driven hard but I would bet it gets driven closer to class C with that much power out.

73
Gary  K4FMX

Jim candela wrote:
Gary,

    Yes your correct. That said a 813 has conservative Pd rating of 125
watts whereas tubes like the 572 which appear similar in plate area are
rated for 160 watts Pd. The rule of thumb is for AM use is that the max
carrier output is 1/2 the Pd of the tube(s) + feedthrough power (G-G
circuit), so for two  813's we have (125 + 125)/2 + 25 (guess) = 150. This
assumes an efficiency that is about 33% carrier alone, and 66% at 100% sine
wave modulation. I bet we can get closer to 200 watts out for ICAS service
and still have headroom for 100% modulation from a pair of 813's. Those
tubes better be forced air cooled, and you better be talking without pause
since the tubes will cool down with modulation (efficiency doubles at 100%
sine wave modulation).

        This rule of thumb doesn't seem to apply to my Central electronics 600L
linear which has a one 813 grid driven in AB2 mode. This amplifier can put
out 100 watts carrier and modulate it fully to + 100%. This implies the tube
is dumping 200 watts (no modulation) for 100 watts output. There is color in
the tube for sure, but 200 watts? I don't think so. Maybe those broadband
couplers in the patented 600L somehow boost the efficiency. I have never
figured out why the 600L can do that.

Jim
WD5JKO