Brian,

    This would eliminate 1 of 3 supplies needed. If
the zener could hold the filament CT at 130 volts,
then the plate would need to increase to 2630, and
screen to 880 to restore the DC operating point as
before.

    The zener would need to handle the combined 4-400
plate and screen currents, which could be upwards of
800ma for two 4-400's at max CW output. That zener
would dissipate 104 watts! (.8 X 130). I don't think
this is a very practical approach, but it is for
biasing hi mu triodes in GG service where the zener
wattage need is much lower.

    I have a Fisher stereo tube hi-fi amplifier that
uses 7591's in P-P for about 30 watts / channel. This
Fisher uses a weird combination of cathode bias on the
output tubes to provide fixed bias. They use two of
the 12AX7's with series connected filaments in the low
level speech amp as a output tube cathode resistor.
This provides 24 volts bias, and this is all bypassed
for audio. Then they divide the 24 volts down with a
divider to in effect provide a output tube quiescent
current adjustment. This is neat because there is NO
hum from the low level 12AX7's because their filaments
are pure DC driven.

    There is ONE big problem with this approach. Since
the 7591's are in AB1 mode, the cathode current
increases with audio level. This increases the bias
voltage as well making the 12AX7 filaments "pump" with
audio peaks. The compromise here is to heavily bypass
the filaments with a large capacitor, and to not crank
the music too loud.

    I fought with this for a while, and not wanting to
leave good enough alone, I added a active shunt
regulator across the filament "cathode resistor" and
made the turn on point just about 10% higher then what
the cathode bias was running at. The result was pretty
amazing since the overload point of this amplifier
went up about 25% from before when using a sustained
sine wave drive.

    The cathode bias situation with the 4-400 AB1 grid
driven amplifier is workable, but I think the first
glance simplicity of this idea is offset by a new set
of issues similar to what I went through with my
Fisher audio amplifier.

Regards,
Jim Candela
WD5JKO