> In a message dated 10/25/05 8:18:51 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > Actually,
> > The BC-939 (*) handles an end fed long wire, the recommended length for
> > 2 - 18 Mhz is 44 feet. That number changes to 77 feet for 160 meters and
> > works quite well.
> >
> Actually,   a 44 (or 77) ft antenna is not a very "long" wire even at 18 MHz.
>   The term is usually used to describe wires measured in wavelengths as
> opposed to feet and inches, see various ARRL and other antenna books.

Apparently Hallicrafters and/or the military considered it long enough
to qualify since the 3 position switch on front of the tuner has 'long
wire' specifically listed in the center position. My guess is that
they considered any random length beyond what would qualify as a
'whip' to be a long wire, perhaps in the spirit of the original term.

The odd thing about my A model is that the lower vacuum cap has been
removed and replaced with an air capacitor, screwed to the base with
heavy wire soldered to each of the two clips. It resembles a moderate
sized air variable but with only 5-6 stationary plates. Looks to
either be factory installed or later upgraded. Haven't had time yet to
investigate the value or rating.

Very well-built piece of equipment, even if it has limited utility.

~ Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ