The standard connection from the porcelain insulated connections to the BC-939 is INDEED 50 ohm coaxial cable.

Those desiring to ELIMINATE TVI issues would NORMALLY install a Low-Pass filter in-line between the BC-610 and the BC-939 which is already internally wired with 50 ohm coaxial cable.

I also place the ME-165G in-line PRIOR to the BC-939 or the proper dipole. My BC-610 location does not allow for a "wire" exiting from the BC-939 to the outside. So it is coax to the outside.

I ALSO own a T-213, an overhauled BC-610 by depot, in August 1959. One of the changes from BC-610 to T-213, was to remove the porcelain insulators and replace ONE with an SO-239. I can find NO internal final circuit mods other than this, and the schematics agree with this assessment.

As Geoff/W5MOR has indicated from his operations, I TOO have had ONE and ONLY one gripe about getting into a CHEAP "portable" telephone since 2000. I provided the individual with the necessary information to contact the phone company to have a filter put in place. He has NOT returned or complained again.

There is NO question that the output of the BC-610 series, my first one happens to be an (I) model, is indeed 50 ohms impedance. It is unfortunate that some hams make the ASSUMPTION that since it has porcelain insulators for the output, that it is a balanced output of OTHER than 50 ohms.

I cannot stress the importance of obtaining the manual, carefully studying it, and pay close attention to the details. The ME-165G is unquestionably a 50 ohm input SWR/Wattmeter/dummy load. It comes with "N" connectors for input and output.

Don is ABSOLUTELY correct!

The use of 44ft and 77ft "wires, AND the use of the "term" long wire, is the military's AND the manufacturer's. If you are going to use a dipole do NOT use the BC-939! It's intent was for the specified wire lengths and/or the issued whip antenna.

Of course I have not pursued a whip installation. It would seem to be a useless endeavor as the 160, 80, 40, and 20 meter bands are "normally" of horizontal polarization. I see no logic in operating in cross polarization, and making communications more difficult than necessary.

Bob - N0DGN

Donald Chester wrote:

The final is single-ended, but the plate tank circuit is balanced just as in a pushpull amplifier. This is the classic plate-neutralised triode final. The other half of the coil functions to generate the out-of-phase rf voltage required to neutralise the circuit. True, the tube works into only half the coil, but the circulating current of the resonant tank circuit is present in the entire coil, which along with the split-stator variable tank capacitor make up the tuned circuit. The Q of the tank is determined by the LC ratio of the entire coil and capaciter.

The circuit is inherently balanced. The flywheel effect of the tank circuit takes care of the fact that the rf pulses are introduced on only one end of the coil. The link output on the BC-610 came from the factory balanced, with two ceramic insulators at the output. I have seen many of these converted to an unbalance output by grounding one side to the cabinet and using a SO-239. But the link in the middle of the tank coil is inherently a balanced output.

Don K4KYV

--
Bob - NØDGN
|          \\"""//                                \\"""//          |
|           (@ @)       Bob Bethman - NØDGN        (@ @)           |
+-------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------+
| NØDGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
+-------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------+
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-61ØI w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I,1 '51 Collins R-390A |
|  SP-600/NR Type 159, Heath DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
+-------.oooO---Oooo.---------------------------.oooO---Oooo.------+
|       (    ) (    )                           (    ) (    )      |
|        \  (   )  /                             \  (   )  /       |
|         \ _) ( _/                               \ _) ( _/        |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                          Meade ETX-6Ø                            |
|           38 Deg 46'48.62"' N - 77 Deg 28'26.89" W               |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |
|ALL E-mail received and sent scanned by AVG & Norton System Works |