, 26 Oct 2005 16:33:42 -0400

Eric, WB4VVI(SK), told me that the 6000 tube was essentially a 6L6 with the
pins moved around and filament voltage raised. I guess you can use a 25AV5
as a drop in replacement for it with a little less drive. I have an exciter
deck and got the more common 6AV5. The reason is that the tube's wires for
the filament are on a separate line. Therefore, you could hook-up whatever
flavor filament transformer that will meet your needs.

In mine I replaced the 6000 tube with a 6AG7. This required rewiring the socket because the pin configuration is different. The internal capacitance of the tube is similar. The 6AG7 is rated for much lower power than the 6000, but I use mine for a VFO and only need a fraction of a watt output. It measures between 200 and 250 milliwatts with about 200 volts on the plate of the 6AG7.

Don K4KYV