Typo, Those diodes I mentioned are both 1000 volts
PIV. I incorrectly stated 100 volts.
1N5408 Data sheets:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/1/N/5/4/1N5408.shtml
1N4007 data Sheets:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/1/N/4/0/1N4007.shtml

Article about reverse breakdown voltage in a diode:
http://www.voltagemultipliers.com/html/bvr.html

excerpt from above:

"
In the past, the term controlled avalanche diodes
referred to those diodes that had "sharp" breakdown
characteristics and which would survive over-voltage
with controlled reverse current. The term
non-controlled avalanche diodes typically referred to
those diodes that had very high reverse currents at
considerably lower voltages than the breakdown
voltages. This high reverse current leads to
overheating and very round breakdown curves.

Rectifiers are generally subjected to a peak inverse
voltage (PIV) test to identify their breakdown
characteristics. This test is performed by applying
60-hertz half-wave reverse voltage of sufficient
amplitude to initiate breakdown. During the test, the
reverse current is usually limited to 50µA. The
resulting waveform is observed on an oscilloscope to
determine the sharpness of the "knee" at the point of
breakdown. Both planar and deep-diffusion processes
yield controlled avalanches under PIV test
conditions."