Barrie,

There ARE different tube line-ups between the HT-5 and the BC-614.

I did not know that!  Will have to do some research.

From your description of the mounting for the shelf and socket for the padder cap, there are obviously differences inside the BC-610 vs. the HT-4.

I went to the previously suggested website. There was a photo of the RF compartment of a BC-610 with no capacitor shelf in sight.

I'm curious as to what differences in meters there is. I have one for filament voltage, one for tweaking the oscillator - it is multi-functional with a function switch, and then there is the plate current meter. The BC-614 has of course its own meter for modulation current. The BC-939 has an RF Ammeter.

The HT4-B has five meters.  From left to right they are:

Plate
Grid Current
Excitation Plate
Fil Voltage
Modulation Plate
(I believe that this meter performs the same function as the modulation meter in the BC-614. At least they dance about in the same fashion when I babble into the microphone)

What other differences there may be, I do not know. It would be of interest (to me, at least) to find out.

BTW, there is a fairly decent photo of my HT4-B on the November, 1992 (I think) cover of Electric Radio magazine. My call sign, at that time was KF7VA. Thanks to the vanity program, I'm back to my original call from the early 1950s.

73, Barrie, W7ALW

Bob - N0DGN

Barrie Smith wrote:

Bob:

I've got my HT4-B working FB, for many years.

I own a BC-939, but I've never attempted to use it.

I have the BC-614 speech amp, and this is what I've been using. The only reason I'd like to have the HT5 is that it's what was originally used with the rig.

My questions regarding the HT4-B are mostly motivated by the possibility that there are some differences between it and the BC-610.

There are cosmetic differences, and the HT4 has one more meter. And, possibly, the shelf with the socket for the air-padder cap.

73, Barrie, W7ALW

--
Bob - NØDGN

|          \\"""//                                \\"""//          |
|           (@ @)       Bob Bethman - NØDGN        (@ @)           |
+-------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo-------+
| NØDGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
+-------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------+
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-61ØI w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I,1 '51 Collins R-390A |
|  SP-600/NR Type 159, Heath DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
+-------.oooO---Oooo.---------------------------.oooO---Oooo.------+
|       (    ) (    )                           (    ) (    )      |
|        \  (   )  /                             \  (   )  /       |
|         \ _) ( _/                               \ _) ( _/        |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                          Meade ETX-6Ø                            |
|           38 Deg 46'48.62"' N - 77 Deg 28'26.89" W               |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |
|ALL E-mail received and sent scanned by AVG & Norton System Works |