-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John E. Coleman (ARS
WA5BXO)
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 3:32 PM
To: 'Discussion of AM Radio'
Subject: RE: RE: [AMRadio] Re: Need list of good AM radios to start
lookingfor.

        You are correct of course Jim.  I would mount the resistor in its
own case and construct a cable so as to plug the modulator into the new
chassis with the resistor and bypass cap, and then the new chassis would
plug into the Ranger.
        To conserve power and heat, another power supply with lower voltage
output or variable output would be better.  But some time you do with what
you have and if the 2000 ohm 50 watt resistor is handy and you have an old
scrap chassis well there you go.  I once needed a stiff bias supply so I
used a single diode and 400 uf filter right off the AC line.  Then I placed
a 100 watt lamp in series with a large variable 100 ohm 100 watt resistor to
ground.  Not a very efficient thing to do but it did hold the bias steady on
the 805s modulator.  This was long before I had access to the HV
transistors, ETC.

John, WA5BXO