Please pardon the time warp - I guess that last one has been sitting in my "Unsent Messages" folder for a while.

-Larry/NE1S

Larry Szendrei wrote:

John,

I've run the Ranger PA of the LV B+, as indicated in a previous post, with no overstressing of the supply. Then again, the power supply in my Ranger is non-original - different XFMR, and solid-state rectifiers in the "economy" hookup for low and high B+. The rig was a bsket case when I got it, and I've never laid eyes on the original power xfmr. That said, the xfmr in there appears no beefier than the original, perhaps less so.

I know for a fact Timtron (WA1HLR) also has had experience running the Ranger PA off the LV B+, and he advocates this method to anyone wishing to drive an amplifier with the Ranger.

One thing - The PA plate current meter won't read when doing this - unless you change the wiring in the radio, as I did, so that it reads when either the HV B+ and LV B+ supplies are employed. Alternatively, you can add an external meter without taking the Ranger out of the cabinet (in series with the appropriate pins on the accessory plug).

73/GL,
-Larry/NE1S