I had an opportunity to go the ham shack last night and decided to
work on the SP600.  The crystal filter doesn't seem to work like BJ and I
think it should.  It works and narrows the band pass alright but doesn't
seem to have a movable notch.  Instead it seems more like a tunable band
pass or IF shift when the phasing capacitor is turned.  BJ and I have been
through the alignment procedure several times using a very stable signal
generator and a frequency counter.  The crystal freq peak seems to be 454.96
and we used the alignment procedures describe in the TO.  Removal of the
crystal and bypassing the resistors and checking the resonances of the two
tank circuits just before the crystal and just after the crystal shows that
they both work and have a good tuning Q when the slugs are adjusted, but
when the whole thing is put back into place the output coil L37 has little
or no effect in any of the three crystal positions.  The resistors in the
circuit check OK as well.

        Maybe BJ and I are just familiar with the crystal notch movement as
it was in so many of the other Hammarlund,s receivers.  The first three
switch positions don't use the crystal only the last 3 positions are for the
crystal. So maybe it is working correctly.  ANY IDEAS ?

The Circuit can be seen at
http://wa5bxo.shacknet.nu/EQUIP/sp600crystalfltr.gif

        Put the receiver back in service and got on the air last night
(early morning 2 AM CST 12/31/2005) on 3870 after a SSB QSO signed.  We
talked to Don, K5JRJ in Victoria, Tx for about an hour.  He was on SSB and
BJ and I were on the big AM rig.  We could hear faint signals on 3880 and
3885 about S-1.5.  Another SSB QSO started up on 3875 and we heard no
complaints which I though to be fairly unusual since their lower sideband
and my upper would surely be crossing over when tunning on there frequency
and listening LSB.

Happy New Year to all.

John Coleman
WA5BXO